Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Week 4: Treasure Assignment



What I Hold Close to my Heart

Treasures are things or memories that I care for deeply and that I hold close to my heart. My family came from Wales, Scotland, Ireland, France, and Germany and they all settled in the Canadian prairies. My father also told me that we are also descended from the Roma people and perhaps this is why I have moved around so much.


My personal treasure has to be my embroidery bag that I inherited from my grandmother Edith Layland. She taught me how to embroider when I was a child and I have continued to embroider throughout my life. My grandmother taught me that women could create beautiful things from nothing to decorate a home. I have a strong image of a community of women at quilting bees in the kitchen of my grandparent’s farm in rural Manitoba. My mom told me that lots of hot tea and cookies were consumed and much lively conversation took the chill off the winter afternoons. Women could talk openly about their feelings in this uniquely feminine space. I have one of the quilts that my grandmother did not finish and I hope to finish it someday soon so that her memory will live on. I am teaching my daughter to embroider and I hope that some day she will teach her daughter.

My family treasure has to be the china platters and silverware that have supported so many family dinners. We serve turkey for Thanksgiving, ham for Easter and other food for birthdays on the platters and they are lovingly passed around the table each holiday. Before family dinners, we polish the silverware that has been passed down to each new generation and I can imagine all the people who have cradled a fork in their hand while laughing, crying, or arguing around the table. Many of my family were farmers and family dinners are a celebration of the people who produce the food that sustains us.

My cultural treasure is the Potluck Dinner. The idea that everyone can bring a dish to a party or a dinner and share food together speaks to how my prairie upbringing is all about community. I have been to many amazing Potluck Dinners in United Church basements, in campgrounds, at my parents’ house and with friends. Every one brings what they can and we share food and fellowship with each other. Potluck dinners at the church and at my parents’ house are always blessed in prayer before we eat and then the consumption begins. There is always a kind soul who puts out more food as needed and a whole bunch of people join together at the end of the meal to wash the dishes. I love the culinary cooperation of Potluck Dinners so much I even had one organized by my mom, aunties and Mexican mother-in-law for my wedding.

No comments: